Are you interested in becoming a Verification Officer (VO) for PACS?
PACS is always looking for talented and committed VOs to complete our annual inspections. PACS is an incorporated not-for-profit society that is directly linked to the clients it serves. As there are no profits, fees are tied specifically to costs; therefore, our organization relies on the talents and expertise of our staff and VOs to fulfil our obligations and requirements in the most cost-efficient manner possible.
The following information will provide you with the basic steps on the process of ‘how to become’ an accredited VO contracted by PACS.
STEP #1: Please forward us your current resume with cover letter explaining your interest in becoming a Verification Officer to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are accepted into the PACS VO Mentorship Program, the following steps will be required before starting your exciting career as a Verification Officer for PACS.
STEP #2: PACS is required by our Accreditation Board (COABC) to contract VOs who are members in good standing with International Organic Inspectors Association (IOIA). Therefore, you will eventually need to register with IOIA and become a member.
STEP #3: There are three main courses (Crop, Processing & Livestock) that you can complete to become an active VO (Note – only one is required to get started):
- Prerequisite courses are required for all basic Inspection courses – These courses are designed for educating individuals on the standards that will be used during the ‘basic’ courses listed below.
- Basic Crop Inspection Training - Canada Organic Regime (COR) – Live on-line course November 22-26, 2021 $2,100 CAN
- Basic Processing Inspection - (COR) – Live on-line or self-directed course fall/spring 2021 $2,100 CAN
- Basic Livestock Inspection - (COR) – Live on-line course spring 2021 $2,100 CAN
- Please contact Sasha at IOIA for more information and how to register for the IOIA COR course.
STEP #4: Once one of the basic courses is completed, PACS will assign a Mentor VO to you for the completion of your apprenticeship. A signed confidentiality agreement must be completed at this point and sent to the PACS office before starting this process. The mentorship will include a minimum of:
- 1 Shadowed Inspection: The Apprentice will observe the inspection conducted by their Mentor and review the report completed by the Mentor VO.
- 5 Supervised Inspections: The Apprentice VO will take on an increasing amount of responsibility for the onsite inspections.
- 5 Unsupervised Inspections: The Apprentice VO will complete inspections independently and have the Mentor VO review the reports.
- Once completed, the Mentor VO will send an evaluation/approval letter to PACS and IOIA verifying the completion of the practical experience training.
STEP #5: Once the mentorship is complete, the Verification Officer will engage in a contract with PACS. Please contact the PACS Executive Director or Operations Manager for details about remuneration and any other questions about the position.